Welcome!

Welcome!
This is the place for friends to talk about books, movies, music, food, and everything fun!

Monday, June 8, 2015

Lilly Faye's Movie Review: Big Eyes, starring Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz


Dear Readers,
Big Eyes is the true story of artist Margaret Keane (Amy Adams), and her second husband, Walter Keane (Christoph Waltz). Walter was a consummate salesman who took public credit for Margaret's work.

Margaret's paintings of sad waifs with oversized eyes were a cultural phenomenon in the 1960s. Big Eyes is about Margaret's journey from a meek, shy woman dominated by Walter, to a self-confident woman who finally stands up for herself, laying claim to her life's work and reputation. I won't give away how Margaret does that, but it's my favorite scene in the movie!

Big Eyes is directed by Tim Burton, who has long been a collector of Margaret Keane's work.



Dizzie: In addition to her famous waifs, Margaret Keane also painted many portraits of cats and dogs, Boss!



Lilly Faye: That's right, Diz. Also, there's a pretty Toy Poodle in the movie.

You can watch the trailer for the movie here:  Big Eyes

Amy Adams won a Golden Globe for her portrayal of Margaret, and Christoph Waltz was nominated for his portrayal of Walter.

Lana Del Rey also received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Song. You can hear it here: Lana Del Rey--Big Eyes



Lilly Faye: Frank, tell everybody what you made for our movie night dinner.



Mr. Frank: Shrimp and Orzo with fresh tomatoes and basil, lemon broccoli, and garlic bread.



Alfie Cat: What did that have to do with the movie?



Mr. Frank: Nothing. But I got a good deal on the shrimp.



Lilly Faye: For anyone wondering how closely the movie hews to the truth, here is an excellent October 2014 interview with Margaret Keane in The Guardian newspaper:  The big-eyed children: the extraordinary story of an epic art fraud



Lilly Faye: I can't imagine letting anyone else take credit for writing the blog. It's the expression of my own creativity, and I pour my heart and soul into it.

Time to rate the movie, boys!

Dizzie: Two Paws Up! It made me want to find out more about the truth behind the movie.

Mr. Frank: Two Paws Up! As both a chef and a tuba player, I like stories about the artist's struggle.

Alfie: I'm abstaining. I left the room as soon as the shrimp was gone.

Lilly Faye: Two Paws Up! The actors did a great job, and I loved the 1950s and '60s fashions. I only wish I'd tried out for the role of Margaret's Toy Poodle.

Dear Readers,
Big Eyes is a fascinating look at the true story behind a cultural phenomenon, and a heartening story of a woman learning to stand up for herself. I recommend it.

Love,
Lilly Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a woof!