Welcome!

Welcome!
This is the place for friends to talk about books, movies, music, food, and everything fun!

Friday, February 6, 2015

Lilly Faye's Movie Review: The Hundred-Foot Journey, starring Helen Mirren, Om Puri, Manish Dayal, and Charlotte Le Bon


Dear Readers,
Due to the cold and windy weather, my blog staff and my boyfriend Frank are joining me from home today, via Skype. Welcome boys!



Lilly Faye: Before we review the movie, I'd like to thank Frank for providing our movie night dinner. His Chicken Tikka Masala and Curried Rice with Raisins and Toasted Almonds was excellent. I sure wouldn't have wanted to watch The Hundred-Foot Journey on an empty stomach. The food served in the movie all looks so gorgeous, it would make anyone hungry!


(Frank's Chicken Tikka Masala on Curried Rice)



Mr. Frank: Thanks Doll. I'm glad you enjoyed it.



Alfie Cat: I'm not one to give compliments, but your chicken was quite acceptable Frank.

Dizzie: I like anything I can fit in my mouth. Thanks Frank.



Lilly Faye: Now on to the movie...



Dizzie: It's another feel-good chick movie. Not enough tension! I knew how it would end after the first ten minutes!



Lilly Faye: I disagree, Diz. I thought there was plenty of tension.



Mr. Frank: Actually Dizzie, a relaxing, feel-good movie was just what I needed after our car ride over to your place. 

No offense Doll, but you're not the world's best driver.



Lilly Faye: With all these new vehicle safety features, you don't have to be that good.

Anyway, back to the movie...

The Hundred-Foot Journey is based on a novel of the same name by Richard C. Morais. It's the story of the Kadam family, who leave India after losing their restaurant and their family matriarch in a devastating fire. They travel through Europe looking for a new place to put down roots. Eventually they end up in France, where they buy a vacant restaurant which is not much more than a ruin, and renovate it.

The French villagers are curious about the loud, boisterous family and their exotic restaurant. Madame Mallory (Helen Mirren), the owner of a Michelin-starred restaurant located literally one hundred feet across the street, feels threatened, setting up a rivalry between herself and Papa (Om Puri), the patriarch of the Kadam family.

At first the customers stay away, but Papa is full of good ideas, a few of which come to him from his late wife. I loved that some of the first customers he pulls into the restaurant are a couple with a cute dog! I wish more restaurant owners would welcome dogs.



Mr. Frank: One of the Kadam sons is a born chef, and one arc of The Hundred-Foot Journey is his coming of age story. I think that was my favorite part of the movie, since I'm a chef myself.



Lilly Faye: The journey in the title is symbolic, and also the theme of the movie. It's not only about the son's journey to adulthood, it's also a journey to a new homeland, a journey across a cultural divide, and a journey toward love.

The movie's soundtrack is beautiful, and the scenery is stunning. Plus, it features not just one, but two romances!

Here is a YouTube link to the trailer:


Time to rate the movie, boys!

Dizzie: One Paw Up! The plot was predictable, but the music was pretty good.

Mr. Frank: Two Paws Up! It was very relaxing, and I liked the subject matter and the cooking scenes.

Alfie Cat: I'm abstaining. I left the room as soon as the chicken was all gone.

Lilly Faye's Movie Rating: Two Paws Up! For its beauty and romance! 

Dear Readers,
The Hundred-Foot Journey would be an excellent Valentine date movie!

Love,
Lilly Faye


4 comments:

  1. Dinner looked delicious and the movie discussion was helpful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Vicki! My friends and I think it's fun to match our dinner to the movie. It makes movie night more of an event. I'm glad you found our review helpful.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a woof!