Welcome!

Welcome!
This is the place for friends to talk about books, movies, music, food, and everything fun!

Monday, February 16, 2015

Lilly Faye's Movie Review: Boyhood, starring Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, and Ellar Coltrane


Lilly Faye: First, I'd like to thank my boyfriend Frank for joining us again this week, and for providing our movie night dinner. Tell our readers what you made for us, Frank.



Mr. Frank: I figured, what better way to represent an American boyhood than Mac and Cheese? I elevated the dish by using Gruyere cheese and rigatoni pasta, and added crumbled bacon, caramelized sweet onions, and Butternut squash cooked down into a sweet, creamy sauce. I topped it off with toasted sourdough bread crumbs.

To lighten the meal, I paired it with a salad of mixed greens, crisp young sugar snap peas, red bell pepper, grape tomatoes, avocado, and marinated artichoke hearts.


(Frank's Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese)

(Frank's Tossed Salad)


Alfie Cat: The Gruyere was a nice touch, Frank. I like expensive things.



Dizzie: I liked the bacon! And the pasta! And the cheese! And the bacon!



Lilly Faye: Am I the only one who appreciates avocados and artichoke hearts? Anyway, on to the movie...

Director Richard Linklater's Boyhood is a unique 12-year project, with the actors aging in real time. It follows a boy named Mason, played by Ellar Coltrane, from the age of six through his first day of college. Mason's parents (Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke) are divorced, but clearly they both want the best for him and his sister. Linklater's own daughter Lorelei play's Mason's sister Samantha, who is one year older than Mason.

Boyhood was filmed on location in Texas, in real homes rather than on sound stages, which helps give the movie an authentic look and feel. Linklater also takes advantage of Texas's open highways and beautiful natural settings, such as Big Bend Country.

The cinematographer used the same type of camera and lighting over the 12-year span, giving a nice continuity to the look of the film, despite the passage of time.

Boyhood is 2 hours and 44 minutes long, but it didn't feel that long to me, at all.



Dizzie: We did take a second intermission though, Boss. Come to think of it, that means I should have gotten a second dessert. Two intermissions should definitely mean two desserts. I feel cheated.



Lilly Faye: We all had plenty to eat, Diz. You weren't cheated out of anything.

Boyhood is character driven rather than plot driven. It's to be lived more than watched, and every viewer will see it through the prism of their own childhood or parenting experiences.

Boyhood has already won numerous awards, and is nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Director Richard Linklater, and actors Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke have also received Academy Award nominations.

The movie has a great soundtrack. I especially liked the main theme, "Hero," by Family of the Year. You can hear the song and see scenes from the movie here:




Lilly Faye: Time to rate the movie, boys!



Alfie Cat: Two Paws Up! I identified with Mason's sister Samantha, and having to share the spotlight with a dorky younger brother.



Dizzie: Are you referring to me? Because I'm not dorky. I'm as charismatic as they come. Ask any of the neighbors.

I give Boyhood Two Paws Up! It had lots of fun car rides.



Mr. Frank: Thanks for including me, Doll. 

Definitely Two Paws Up! Boyhood got me all choked up.



Lilly Faye's Movie Rating: Two Paws Up! 

Dear Readers,
I loved everything about this movie, and I highly recommend it.

Love,
Lilly Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a woof!