Welcome!

Welcome!
This is the place for friends to talk about books, movies, music, food, and everything fun!

Monday, December 8, 2014

Lilly Faye's Movie Review: The One I Love, starring Elisabeth Moss and Mark Duplass


Dear Readers,

The One I Love is a fascinating study of a marriage, and a whole lot more. 

Sophie, played by Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men), and Ethan, played by Mark Duplass (Safety Not Guaranteed), visit a therapist played by Ted Danson, in an attempt to repair their ailing marriage. 

The couple agree to spend a few days on a beautiful property in Ojai, California, after the therapist assures them this has done wonders for his other patients.

To say more about the plot would be a shame. You'll just have to experience it for yourself, and I highly recommend that you do so. 

The film's director is Charlie McDowell, son of actors Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen, and stepson of Ted Danson, the therapist in the movie.

Charlie McDowell grew up in Ojai, and he uses the movie's setting, especially a beautiful home and guest cottage, to its best advantage.

The One I Love is based on a scant 50-page screen treatment written by Justin Lader, with dialogue largely improvised by the film's stars, Moss and Duplass. Duplass and his brother bankrolled the movie, which was filmed on a shoestring, but has an expensive look to it.


Dizzie: I thought we were going to watch a relationship movie, but then I thought it might turn into a thriller, or a horror film, or maybe sci-fi, and I got nervous. I didn't know what was going to happen at any point in the film!



Lilly Faye: That's something I loved about it. The plot wasn't obvious. It made me think, and the tone was just right. The actors were very convincing. Moss and Duplass carried the entire film, and really made it work. They were exactly right for their parts.



Alfie Cat: Am I the only one who thought it was a comedy?



Lilly Faye: We can't say too much for fear of spoiling it for our readers, but I will say, if you are trying to unravel the story, follow the bacon.



Dizzie: I always follow the bacon!



Lilly Faye: Dear Readers, this is the kind of movie you'll want to watch, think about, discuss, then watch again. The One I Love is now streaming on Amazon Instant Video and Netflix.


Lilly Faye's Movie Review: Two Paws Up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a woof!