Welcome!

Welcome!
This is the place for friends to talk about books, movies, music, food, and everything fun!

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Lilly Faye's Movie Review: American Hustle, starring Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, and Jennifer Lawrence



Dear Readers,

My blog intern, Dizzie, and I recently watched the movie, American Hustle. It got ten Oscar nominations, and has won numerous prestigious filmmaking awards. 

American Hustle is a somewhat fictionalized version of real events, the FBI's Abscam sting that brought down a U.S. Senator, six Congressmen, and a popular mayor, among others, in the late 1970s and early '80s. 

Lilly Faye: I thought the film was surprisingly funny and very well done, Diz. What did you think?




Dizzie: I agree, Boss. And it had a cracking good soundtrack. I mean, come on! Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Thelonious Monk, Donna Summer, Santana, Chicago, Elton John, Tom Jones, and the Bee Gees, all in one movie!




Lilly Faye: And those period clothes were a real hoot!

I thought Christian Bale was particularly good as the con man coerced into helping the FBI set up and carry out the sting. Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, and Jennifer Lawrence all did such an outstanding job, though, it's hard to single out any one performance. Louis C.K. as one of the FBI bosses, and Jeremy Renner as a New Jersey mayor, also did excellent work.




Dizzie: I noticed there were a lot of hair issues in the movie. Lots of big hair, fake hair, permed hair....




Lilly Faye: The hair is a metaphor, Diz. The characters are all trying to be someone other than who they really are. They aren't  just conning each other, they are also conning themselves.

We should mention that American Hustle has an R rating. There is a bit of nudity, but most of the sex is implied, or taking place under the covers.




Dizzie: I thought the R rating was for the Senator and all those Congressmen taking bribes. That's pretty obscene.




Lilly Faye: That's an excellent point, Diz. 

Time to rate the movie. I think we agree on this one.

Movie Rating: Two Paws Up! Highly Recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a woof!